Sunday, January 29, 2012

New sewing machine

So, I asked you guys a few weeks ago if you had any recommendations for me for a new sewing machine.  I also put the question out on Facebook and got several responses there as well.


I ventured into a local machine/fabric shop 3 weeks ago and spent about an hour with Nancy who gave me lots of good information.  They primarily sell Pfaff and Babyloc machines, though have recently become a Viking dealer as well.  Her recommendation was a Pfaff.  German made. Solid metal construction.  A machine that will last.  Even though I went in asking about a basic mechanical machine, she showed me their base electronic line as well.  I walked out that day lured by the technology of the electronic machines, but just not sure I wanted to spend that much money.  That same afternoon, I headed to the Bernina store as those had also been highly recommended.  I didn't get the same good feeling being in the Bernina store, everything they carry is MUCH higher in price and they didn't even stock the machine I was most interested in.  Suffice it to say, I wasn't impressed.


So, after visiting JoAnn last weekend and perusing the electronic Viking machines, I headed back to The Fabric Affair, my local shop.  Talked some more, asked more questions. Still undecided.  Came home and spent some time on the phone with my folks and finally decided to stick to my original plan to get a basic, no major frills machine.  Even though I *think* I want to get into more projects, whether I do or not remains to be seen.  And this machine still does WAY more than my old one.  My old machine was a pioneer of the electronic machines, but has started to die and only will only sew straight stitches now.


Yesterday, after spending the morning playing in the park and visiting turtles/ducks at Northpark with Kelly, Adrian & David, I headed back the The Fabric Affair and pulled the trigger on my new machine.....the Pfaff hobby 1142.  At the store, Nancy unboxed my machine and taught me how to thread it and wind a bobbin.  Practiced a couple of stitches, then I was off and ready to go!


And today, I decided to break it in!  Sewed a couple of burp cloths for a girl at church. While I was out yesterday, I also picked up a few fat quarters of fabric to just play on.





So, here's to new projects!


6 comments:

Lana said...

Looks good! Sewed smoother and quiet? Cute burp cloth.

BECKY said...

Cool! Lets get together for a sewing day sometime!

Heather said...

Looks like fun. Mine does a few of those stitches, but not nearly that many!

Sarah B said...

Happy for you! :)

Karen said...

Let me know how you like it. I'm sort of in the market as well and you are one of the best researchers I know. Glad you got to spend time with the Rolletts.

Miss G said...

yea! And that burp cloth is like one of the ones you made me. Love it! Kelly