Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday finds

After church today, while killing time before a wedding shower, I ducked into one of my favorite shops, Junkadoodle, that I, of course, discovered through my friend Kelly.....it isn't antiques, it isn't quite junk, it is just fun stuff that has been repurposed or reclaimed to serve whatever creative juices are drawn in. I've been thinking for quite a while that I needed to do *something* over my sofa in my living room. I already have a big mirror on the other end of the room by the dining table, plus the whole facing wall is windows. Artwork, shelves for knick-knacky stuff, .....nothing was striking me. Plus I kinda hate to be too stuck on a color palette.....

So, when I saw this reclaimed trellis, I knew instantly that it would be perfect. I need to decide if I am going to paint it -- I'm afraid it would just blend into the creamy walls right now (and I'm not up for painting my living room at this point).....so the dilemma over color begins to rage. Freshen up the white? I've got brown paint left from my office re-do last summer ...... I've sent photos to Kelly to get her take as she is often my decorating guru, but I'm gonna throw this out there for you as well...... any thoughts??



















Then, while driving home, I swung down a street in my neighborhood to check out a "HUGE SALE" -- it wasn't all that. BUT, on the way down the street, I saw these interesting items out for the bulk trash pickup. I stopped, got out to examine, and folks, these are some prime boxes. Sturdy and in extremely good condition. Could be transformed into shelves, toy boxes, planters.....who knows?! And for free? You know I had to pick them up. So, while I've got you brainstorming......any ideas? I'm thinking possibly planter(s) on the front porch, but I'm not sold on that yet......

























Well, I think I'm off to put away clean laundry and then relax for the remainder of my Sunday before that ugly "W" word comes back into play tomorrow.....



6 comments:

Miss G said...

okay, I'm starting to think a pumpkiny orange on the trellis. crazy? Betty and Cliff painted their kitchen that color and it looked fabulous and I think it would be really cool on the trellis because you have lots of splashes of color in your house that I like. Also, if you want, you could link this up to Rhoda of Southern Hospitality's monday thrifty treasures party. Kelly

Whitney said...

What great finds! Can't wait to see what you decide to do with it all!

Carrie said...

I love it all! I like the idea of pumpkin orange, too, because it'll contrast with your couch. And um....those black boxes are to die for! Love them! could you make them window seats if you turned them on their long side with the holes facing out for storage? Does that make sense?

Jenni said...

just as an FYI for anyone who hasn't seen the full extent of my LR decorations, opposite this couch is a big red chair. so, that definitely plays into any color decisions made....

I'm strongly leaning towards black right now -- mostly because I have other black accents and it would be so easy to take through any decor scheme....

Create in me a clean heart O God, and put a new and right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10 said...

Oh, those boxes are lovely! They would make a neat toy box or even a coffee table (if you got a piece of glass cut for the top). The possibilities are endless! Or maybe paint them and put them in the LR against a wall and store extra blankets in there for winter snuggling on the couch.

Cara said...

I like black for the trellis and love the idea of plant boxes for the yard.