Saturday, March 28, 2009

Being neighborly

Earlier this week I decided that I would work in the yard today. I had to make the decision in my head and remind myself over and over again that was the plan so that I wouldn't procrastinate the work.

Then I heard the weather forecast for today.......high of 50 (at 5 pm) with 25-40 mph NW winds. Brrrrr. BUT, I would much rather work outside in the cold than in the hot, so after breakfast (sausage and egg bake made last night and baked this morning), I got ready to head out.

First order of business.....figure out what clothes to wear to stay warm! I intended to wear a pair of cotton leggings under my work pants ..... but apparently at some time in the past I got rid of them. Boo. So, I pulled out some shorts and knee socks to layer under the pants. Then a tshirt, long sleeve tshirt and sweatshirt. Finally, a headband I bought to go skiing in college to keep my ears warm.

As I was getting ready to go out, I heard a knock on my front door. I almost ignored it because last night about 8:30 my doorbell rang and rang.....and of course, when I got there, nothing. Some neighborhood kids must have been roaming around ringing doorbells and then running off. But I did answer the door this morning and it was my next door neighbor asking to borrow an egg. I've never actually had that happen before! This neighbor is the one that occasionally trims my front hedges for me and, when I met him shortly after I moved in, offered for me to borrow tools any time I needed something.

So, I handed over the egg and finished getting ready to go out and work. On the agenda for today: finish taking out the wood post flowerbed borders in the back, carry them to the curb for pickup and take up all the flagstones from the front flowerbed and move to the back for use in another way yet to be determined. (I'm hoping that my St. Augustine grass will fill in and take over that space.....)

I started carrying armloads of posts to the front and had a thought.....this sure would be easier if I had a wheelbarrow. Hmmmm. Wonder if my neighbor has one I could borrow? In the past, I probably would have had that thought and let my pride rule the day and not go ask (because if you know me at all, you know that asking for any type of help is rather challenging for me). BUT, because he had already come to me today asking for something, I forced myself to go next door and ask if he had a wheelbarrow I could borrow. And guess what? He did!

That wheelbarrow turned my much-bigger-than-I-thought job (which initially also included the first edging/mowing of the season) for the day into an actually manageable task. I spent about 2 hours loading, hauling and unloading......if I hadn't had the wheelbarrow, I don't think I could have finished AND it would have been a MUCH harder task. I also still got in plenty of exercise and sore muscles.....

I definitely learned a lesson today about being neighborly.....and how it tends to cause others to do the same. I hope that I will hesitate less next time before humbling myself to ask for help!


4 comments:

Heather said...

We had sausage & egg bake for breakfast too! Yummy!

Sarah B said...

I got to ask my neighbor for something today, too, and got the bonus of a lovely conversation (thanks, Kelly). We should definitely all be more neighborly!!! Glad you got the work done, too.

Miss G said...

I'm soo glad, Jenni. Yes, I was excited when Sarah called today and said she had a favor. I couldn't wait to hear what it was because I feel like we are the ones always asking HER for a favor! And yes, we got to have a great visit. Kelly

Donna G said...

sounds like a good trade....