Saturday, January 24, 2009

Symphony

Many of you may not know that I played viola in the orchestra. From 6-10 grades and then again for two years in college....it was fun, though I never enjoyed practicing or rehearsals!!

Earlier this week, my good friend Sarah invited me to join her and her parents at the Dallas Symphony last night for a presentation of Dvorak's New World Symphony.

They all arrived at my office about 6:00, we dined at Paradise Bakery and then headed to the Myerson. Come to find out, they were giving free upgrades on seats! We had tickets up the top level, but ended up sitting on row P in the main center section on the floor! They were definitely an improvement!

Before intermission we heard two pieces - the overture to The Thieving Magpie (Rossini opera) and a very strange Asian piece Never Far Away that featured the harp. It was quite bizzare. Not really my thing at all.

Then after intermission, the main show. I really do love New World Symphony and the presentation last night was a treat. Most interesting to watch was how the guest conductor used no music! I don't know that I have ever seen a piece conducted by memory. Truly impressive.

If you ever get a chance, do go visit the Meyerson. It is a phenomenal venue designed specifically for symphony performances. There truly isn't a bad seat in the house. And if you go on a Friday night, you might get a complimentary seat upgrade!





5 comments:

Miss G said...

so cool! New World Symphony is one of my favorites as is the chicken salad sandwich at Paradise Bakery. :) Kelly

the Whitelaws said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love the Meyerson, too!

Donna G said...

a world I know nothing about...but it does sound like fun!

Karen said...

I went to a symphony on the SMU in the 80. Don't remember if it was the Dallas Symphony. I have loved the zucchini muffins at Paradise Bakery. The one at Ridgemar in Fort Worth is gone.

Little Light said...

I played viola too - from 4th grade through my junior year in college. Another thing we have in common!