Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Toad in the Hole

My friend Sara asked for an elaboration on what Toad in the Hole is (see this post from last weekend for the reference). So here goes:

Take a thick sliced piece of bread (preferably homemade). Cut a hole out of the center with a biscut/cookie cutter and make sure you save the hole! In a skillet, melt some butter and toast one side of the bread/hole. Flip the bread over and break an egg into the hole. Cover and cook until egg is cooked to your preference (personally, I like my yolk runny). Slice a piece of Velveeta cheese and place over the egg, the put the bread hole back on top and cook until cheese is melted.

This is a specialty of my daddy - he is the only one in our house that ever makes it! (Just like he is the waffle king).

There are many other names for this lovely breakfast food -- Pioneer Woman recently had a post on her very similar version. Personally, I think the melty velveeta and bread on top is what makes it complete.

And, of course, as we ate this last Saturday morning, we debated the perfect way to eat your Toad. I like to eat a little bit of the edges, then dive right into the middle, using the other crust edges to sop up the runny yolk. My mom and sister eat around the crusts first and end with the middle. Either way, it is a pretty yummy treat.

Enjoy!!


p.s. HAPPY 30th Birthday HEATHER!!!




2 comments:

Elaine said...

I always think of that as Egg in a Basket. The only Toad in the Hole I've had was in England and comprised of sausage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad_in_the_hole
Personally, both sound yummy to me!

the Whitelaws said...

Thanks for sharing! Sounds tasty!