Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hanging Pictures

So, how does a girl hang pictures with only her own two hands? You must admit, it is much easier to have multiple hands and eyes looking at arrangements, measuring, holding, etc. Somewhere along the way, I started using a great trick. I might have read about it in a magazine (I can't remember), but regardless of where the idea originated, it is magic! (and it would even work if you DO have help!!)

I think this little project took me about 30 minutes.



So, here is a little tutorial:



first, measure your wall (don't know why the color on this photo is so crazy)

























next, get some butcher paper or the like larger than your arrangement will be and lay it out on the floor (mine is recycled paper from our plotter at work - it's actually two pieces taped together)































then, lay out your arrangement. move things around until you are happy with the arangement. measure for precision (if you want). then trace around each photo/painting with a pencil





































next, flip the paintings over and measure where your nail holes need to be. mark this on the paper.

































tape the paper up on the wall. move it around until you are happy with how it looks. in my apartment, I used masking tape with no issues. however, since this paint job is brand new, I bought the blue painters tape





























I know this picture is blurry, but you can see the nail hole markings and get the idea that I am making sure the paper is level.






























I set my paintings out on the floor in the arrangement one more time before I put any holes in the wall, just to make sure that I was happy with the spacing (more or less)































drive a nail through the paper where you marked that the nails should go. then just pull the paper off the wall, tearing it around the nail -- no need to take the nails out first!



























then hang your paintings!






























I also used this same method for a grouping of family photos in my office - grandparents wedding photos, my mom and her mom on the far left at about the same age, my grandpa and dad (when daddy was about 6?) and then my favorite photo of my grandpa (he died when I was 10).

































and also this small arrangement on the wall by my desk






























so, now have fun hanging photos/paintings!!










6 comments:

Tiffany said...

What a great idea! I never would have thought to do it that way, but I'm going to try that. I always end up just eyeing it and slamming a nail into the wall, then everything is crooked! No more of that! Thanks for the step by step instructions!

Miss G said...

so cool! Those paintings look great in your bedroom! I can't wait to see all your new stuff in person!!! Kelly

That Girl said...

Now THAT is using your noggin'!

Sarah B said...

The arrangements look great (I must say I thought they would :) Interesting steps to hang...may try it. But my laziness may prevail and just do the best I can!

Jim said...

Great ideas to pass on.

cary said...

Wow. And I thought I was anal when I hang pictures!! Thanks for making me feel normal!! :-)