Monday, April 07, 2008

Sister Getaway...Yard Work....Basketball

About 2 months ago, my sister emailed me to see if I was interested in a Sister Getaway weekend before the baby comes. We don't get to spend much time just us anymore, so of course I said YES!

Back in the mid-1970s, my grandparents retired from Ft Worth to Granbury, a little town of about 6,000 about 30 miles away. Granbury has a great historic square with fun shops that we always enjoyed exploring when we went "into town" while visiting them over the years. And since my grandparents moved away almost 5 years ago, I hadn't been back.

Last spring Heather went on a weekend trip with her best friend Cara and they headed to Granbury and stayed at a B&B just off the square. So, when Heather and I started talking about going, I suggested we just go there!

So Friday afternoon we headed out of town. Even though we left early, Friday afternoon traffic is never fun. A trip that should have taken us about 90 minutes, was almost 3 hours!!

We finally pulled up to Manor of Time B&B about 6:30. Got checked into our room and then headed back out to find somewhere to eat dinner. We walked about 2 minutes to the edge of the square and stopped at Babe's Chicken Dinner House. Our yummy family style fried chicken dinner served us a whole chicken (!), mashed potatoes, salad, corn, green beans and biscuts. Yum. But WAY too much chicken! So, we brought home leftovers.

Saturday morning we woke to the smells of a yummy breakfast cooking. Eggs, german pancake, hashbrowns, bacon, fruit and banana bread got our morning started off right! Then we headed out for some serious shopping. We spent most of the day going in and out of all the shops in the square - stopping for lunch at a fun tea room and then for a mid-afternoon ice cream treat before heading back for an afternoon siesta. We ventured back out for dinner at Ayala's - we grew up eating at the location out closer to our grandparent's house. Too bad the location off the square wasn't as good! Our server was a teenage boy who just acted like he didn't want to be there. We had to ask him for things several times and he just gave up when he couldn't figure out how to turn on the fan! Oh well.

Sunday morning was another yummy breakfast -- this time we had people to talk with! Two other couples had rooms on Saturday night and we were all around one table. It was fun to visit with them and not too awkward, thank goodness. Then we headed back home. It was a nice relaxing fun weekend.

~~~~~~~~

When I got home, I realized that my poor yard was in dire need of another mowing. Blech. So, I planned to work in the yard tonight. My neighbor was mowing when I got home, so that motivated me to get moving quickly. I hate being the unkempt yard in the middle of two freshly mown yards! After mowing, I whacked down some weeds in a flower bed and sprayed some yard-safe weed killer over the front. Then I turned my attention to the back yard.

My parents brought me a bird bath shortly after I moved in that was in the backyard of the house I spent most of my growing up years in. When they re-landscaped the yard, there was no longer a home for it. Then last fall or winter sometime, they brought me the circular concrete edging that always created a flowerbed around the base. It had sat over on the sidewalk since then.

So a couple of weeks ago, I finally set the edging in place to get an idea of where it should go. And tonight I dug out a trench and set it in place. My soil was pretty much like clay or mud, so it was harder going than I thought it would be. And that St Augustine grass sure is hard to separate out! Those trailing pieces just like to stay attached! But I finally got it done. It might not be quite right, but I don't think the edging is going anywhere. Now I just need to get some good potting soil so that I can plant some flowers!

~~~~~~~~

After a nice hot shower, I'm relaxing on the couch tonight watching the NCAA finals. I'm not that big of a basketball fan, but my friend Sara is a HUGE Kansas fan, so I'm watching for her. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Mmmmmm, Babes. My favorite.
Best chicken fried steak around.

hoesayfina said...

I love Granbury. I have a cookbook that has the recipe for Merry Heart Tea Room pumpkin bread. I make it at least twice each fall. :)

It was a great basketball game. I don't normally root for Kansas, but I was tonight.

Lana said...

Can't wait to see your new flowerbed around the birdbath and all the other hard work you've done.
Sara's a happy camper this morning!

the Whitelaws said...

Jenni, you missed an INCREDIBLE end to the game! I've heard they're replaying it on ESPN after the women's championship tonight. Think about recording it or at least find some highlights.

Thanks for rooting for my team! You're a true friend. And yes, I am a happy camper!