Saturday, March 08, 2008

Saturday Project


The storage area of my garage has been a mess for the past several months. Before Christmas, this is what it looked like.

























That white shelving on the left has been a variety of things over the past 32 years. It was built by my grandpa and was the changing table for me and my sister. I think it was mostly used in my mom's sewing room in the years after the need for a changing table went away. I brought it with me to Dallas and used it in my apartment as an entertainment center for a while, then it moved to my bedroom to serve as additional storage. When I moved to my house, I didn't have a need for it inside, so it became garage storage. Well, now that there is a baby coming to our family, it is reverting to its original purpose. My parents took it home at Christmas time to get it repaired, repainted, etc. So, since then my garage has looked like this:




























So today, I took myself to Lowe's and purchased a shelving unit to get this chaos under control.


First, I cleared out the area and placed the stuff in like groups around the garage.





























Then the construction began! The trickiest part of the project was attaching the two side posts together with a single brace. Another set of hands would have been very helpful!





































Almost done! I didn't manage to get a photo of the completed unit empty, though.


























All done!



































I was going to give you some closeup pics of several areas, but Blogger is getting on my nerves, so I'm gonna stop before I blow up my computer.

I'm about to fold some towels, take a quick nap, then get all done up for a wedding tonight. It doesn't start until 8:00 so it's gonna be a late night, especially with the time change too! Oh well, that's what Sunday afternoon naps are for!!

6 comments:

Miss G said...

It looks so good! Fun! I remember when we bought those soft drink holders! Whose wedding? Kelly

Whitney said...

Very organized! You're so handy! Hope you had a fun time at the wedding!

Sarah B said...

Once again, your ambitiousness (word?) amazes me :) Congrats - I know it was probably driving you crazy.

Lana said...

Lookin' good! Glad you got it done.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Wow, it looks great! I always feel 10 lbs lighter when I do stuff like that. I guess spring cleaning is in the air. Have you seen our office makeover? I just posted about Day 3.

Snapshot said...

You are the winner of the "worker bee" award! I would NEVER post pictures of my garage. I'd be thrown out of blog church if ya'll saw how unorganized my garabe is!