Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Another quote

A friend has this quote at the end of his email.....today I saw it in large type and highlighted and it just really spoke to me.

"Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind... and those that mind... don't matter." - Dr. Seuss

I'm still wondering about the first part of that quote...."be who you are." I'm still wondering who I am. I look in the mirror and I'm not sure that I recognize the girl that is looking back. And I don't really know how to find her....how to figure out who I am now.


I generally don't have a problem with the next part...."say what you feel." Depends on who I am with, but I am quite often able to say what I am thinking, regardless of if it is necessarily the most politically correct thing to say. Of course, I don't know that it is a good thing or not! But the more that I say what I think (or feel) around people that really do matter, the more I realize that they are on my side no matter what. And that really does feel good.




2 comments:

thatgirltl said...

For a long time, I knew who I wanted to be but I didn't know who I was. As I've aged, the two have morphed into this person that I'm really beginning to like.

Snapshot said...

I can say an Amen to what Terri said. It's so true that with age comes a realization of who you really are. I used to spend so much time worrying about what people thought about me and what kind of expectations they had of me. And I tried to fit into that mold. But in my mid 30s and certainly after 40 I began to realize, I like who I am, I love the God I serve and I have a few family and friends who accept that AS IS. I'm not who I thought I'd be, I'm not where I thought I'd be, I'm where God wanted me to be and I'm growing into who God wants me to be. And that's more than enough.

Somewhere along the way, I gained some courage for doing things people might not expect of me or even think I SHOULD do. But at this age,that doesn't matter any more. It's amazingly liberating!

My advice would be simply this, spend these years getting to know yourself and leave yourself open to try new and exciting things. Learn to love who you are because that's how God made you. And in a few years you'll think "Hey I like this chick I've grown into. She's pretty cool."