Friday, October 19, 2007

Trapped

I'm still a bit traumatized by what just happened.....of course, while it was happening, I did think "this will definitely be a blog-worthy story!"

My office building has been going through some changes....it has sold a few times in the past several years and a couple of really large tenants have moved out. As such, my company is now on the top floor -- at 28. For a while the building considered building out condos above us, but they've since reverted to intending to fill the empty floors with commercial tenants. Which leaves about 14 empty floors above.

Since there are no people above us, the elevators don't work going up. Except that somehow, today when I punched DOWN to go get lunch, the elevator took me UP. I didn't give it too much thought, but tried to push the floor again where I wanted to go. No dice, so I got off the elevator intending to push DOWN again and wait for the next elevator. Well, the button wouldn't stay illuminated. (Apparently, I should have just stayed on the elevator, but I was thrown off so much that I wasn't thinking quite straight.)

So. Now I am one floor above mine. Locked in between two sets of glass doors in the elevator bay. The elevator call buttons aren't working. There is no phone or fire alarm to pull. There was a door alarm "in case of emergency" to break the glass, so after waiting a few minutes, punching the elevator call buttons repeatedly and periodically hollering to see if anyone on an elevator would hear me, I broke the glass. Ear-piercing shrieking alarm to follow.

I expected building security to come. They did not. So. Now I can get out onto the floor. But this is an unoccupied floor. No people, no phones.

Ok. So, I'll check out the fire stairs down to my floor. Put my sandal into the door on 29 so that I wouldn't be locked in the stairway and went down to try and open the door onto 28. No dice. Locked. Went back up to 29 thinking that building security would be coming soon......

Finally decided ..... phoooey on this. I'm going down. So, I walk into the fire stairs and let the door click locked behind me. Walk down to 28. Try the door again. Locked. Start banging.

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

Nothing.

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

I decided to jiggle the door back and forth rather than just banging -- see sometimes, there is construction above us and we hear loud banging. I didn't want to be confused for random construction noises.

This fire stairway is located in the hallway towards our restrooms, so I figured eventually someone would have to pee and would walk by. Keep banging and jiggling the door.

Finally, our president opened the door. Whew. I told him bits and pieces of the story, barely managing to contain my tears. I held it together pretty well throughout the whole ordeal (only about 30 minutes, really), but now I'm feeling the effects. I was afraid that I wouldn't be missed for a long time -- see it happened at straight up noon -- most people were out of pocket for lunch already. They might have thought I was out for lunch and not miss me for a couple of hours.

So, now I'm waiting on a call or a visit from the building security manager to tell him the story. Hoping that my nerves settle a little first so that I don't start crying.

6 comments:

the Whitelaws said...

I hope that you will be able to laugh about this later. This story is strangely reminiscent of another story involving you being trapped. :-) Love you.

Jim said...

Whatastory! Love you, Daddy

Elaine said...

oh man, what a nightmare! Yes, i hope a cocktail and a few days will allow you to laugh about this later. I once got trapped in the walk-in freezer at El Chico when I worked there. I wasn't trapped long, but I know how that panic begins to set in. You did good!

That Girl said...

That is a panic worthy story if I ever heard one! I'm glad you're ok.

Heidi Renee said...

Ahhh - that is a horrible thing to have to endure. I think you did great under the circumstances - and what a clear head you had!! Good on ya!

Jacinda said...

I am so sorry! I would have been really scared!