Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Curves

I really don't like to exercise. But, I like food -- a lot. And not the really good for you food. I like fried stuff and chocolate. So, if I'm going to get healthy, I decided that it was time to start a real, committed exercise program. And I just found out that my company will subsizide a 12 month gym membership at any fitness facility (previously, it was only at a certain chain).

So, I joined a gym today. I've never done that before by myself. Yes, I joined onto my friend Jenny's YMCA membership for a little while, but I've never walked in somewhere and joined. I've always been intimidated by gyms. It's either a class at a set time period or you have to figure out how to use all the equipment by yourself. Neither of which is very appealing to me or fits well into my schedule.

So, today I joined Curves. It is only women. It is a set circuit of resistance training with cardio between. Two times around the circuit is 30 minutes. And I got a pretty good workout for the first time. I think I'll be a little sore tomorrow.

My plan is to go straight from work. If I come home, I won't want to leave again - plus they close at 7:30. One reason I don't do well working out at home is that once I'm home, I don't want to change and workout. So, going on my way home is really the only way I'll do it.

Or I'll get up and be there when they open at 5:30 am. Which would put me back home around 6:15 - enough time to shower and get ready for work to still make it pretty much on time. I'd rather do this option, but I'm afraid my snooze button might continue to call my name. Plus, I'm not sure how well my body moves first thing in the morning.

I think I'll alternate the options for a while to see which really works best, then settle down to a routine. Some of you out there, please email me in a few weeks and ask me how it's going. I'm gonna need a little accountability to keep it up.

12 comments:

That Girl said...

Like you, I find it very difficult to go back out once I get home. I'm not a huge fan of the 5:30a.m. workout but I do it twice a week.

I hear good things from people who are "curve-y". Stick with it!

Sarah B said...

Good for you! I'll be sure to ask you about it :) You know I hate to sweat, but besides helping me stay in my jeans, working out does relieve a lot of stress/tension. Good luck!

Food Obsession said...

Hi, I joined curves today too! I had my first go at the machines today and I loved it! Hope you enjoy it too!

CoachRatliff said...

Today I am very proud of my Jenni-in-law!!!! I know what you are going through and I pray that you learn to love working out. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

jennyc said...

Way to go! You'll have to think of some great incentive for yourself when you meet your first goal! One of my friends is also just starting an exercise/health plan and thought of the idea of buying a gift card to her favorite clothing or craft store and then putting it away until she achieved her first goal. My prayers will be with you!

Jenny

Malia said...

Jenni,
I've been looking for your e-mail address but I can't find it here!

E-mail me at malia dot carden at gmail dot com and I'll send you my new link.

I've never joined a gym. The past couple of years around this time, I've wished we could join the Y since the summer is starting to loom before me and I need distractions for the kids (& the mommy!). Maybe this year will be the year.

Amy & Robert said...

Good for you! I just started back working out again now that the craziness of busy season is basically over. I've found I have to go in the morning - it's hard to get up, but I never regret going. Plus, it's nice going about the day knowing that I already have my workout in and that I can just go straight home after work. Good luck!

Lesli said...

I am envious of you for getting & planning to stick with a workout. I have gotten the getting part down but I haven't quite mastered the sticking to it part. ;-)


Thanks for commenting on my blog!! I had your blog saved on my computer at church & one of our computers at home. I live in KY now so can't see the one on the church computer & our other computer is fried!!! I'm happy to be able to keep up with you now.

Mae said...

I'm a Curves member, too. I joined last July, went for 2 weeks, found out I was preggers and haven't been back BUT continue to pay the $35 a month fee. Yeah, smart shopping for Mae at it's best. :) Hope you enjoy it more than me!

hoesayfina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RD said...

my mom joined a couple months ago and really loves it, especially the routine of it. I also hear that if you stop coming regularly that they'll call to check up on you. Sounds like there's some accountability built in already! hope you enjoy it.
rebecca

Katrina said...

Hi! You are the winner of one of the books from my Books Galore #2 giveaway. You can check out all the results Here. Please email me your mailing address, so I can forward it to the author and you can receive your book. Congrats!

Katrina
callapidderdays AT gmail DOT com