Sunday, August 06, 2006

Prayers please

This morning, about 7:45 am, my grandmommy, Lanita Pearl Lawrence Smith died at age 91 1/2.

Grandmommy had been in somewhat declining health the past several years, but was still able to get up and about and live with her husband of 66 years, Howard, in their apartment in Abilene around the corner from my mom and her sister.

Yesterday afternoon she fell while getting up from the dining table in their apartment and gashed her head. They took her to the ER and kept her strapped to a backboard for several hours while performing various tests. Finally, about midnight they decided that with the possible broken bone in her neck, they really needed a neurologist to see her sooner rather than later. Since there wasn't one in Abilene over the weekend, they CareFlighted her to Harris Hospital in Ft Worth. Somewhere along the way, I think when they were moving her from the helicopter to the ER at Harris, her heart went into arrythmia. They got it restarted and put her on an external pacemaker. She was admitted to Harris about 2:15 am. I have no real idea what happened the next few hours, but I think it was after they were doing another MRI to determine the severity of her neck injury that her heart just gave out.

I KNOW that she is whole again and celebrating being in heaven, but very selfishly I wasn't ready for her to die. Over the past year or so each time I'd see her and ask how she was doing she'd say something about being ready to quit hurting and just die. Of course we didn't want that, so we encouraged her and basically tried to talk her out of giving up!

The irony or coincidence (or God-incidence) of the time that she died is that is the moment that I was on the phone with one of our ministers at church and he was praying for her healing. He asked that she be completely healed -- and she was, just not in the way we were expecting.


So, please pray for our family during this trying time -- for my granddaddy Howard (he'll be 94 on Aug 23) as he looks to life without his sweetheart. He was always taking care of her, so I just don't know what he's going to do without her. I really am afraid that he might not make it long. Also pray for my mom Lana, and her sister Sharon as they help him to make the arrangements. I think the funeral will be later in the week, but we don't have that figured out yet.

8 comments:

Mae said...

Goodbyes are so bittersweet. Prayers of healing for you all.

That Girl said...

I'm so sorry! I know how much grandmothers mean!

Paige said...

Oh jenny. I am so sorry. I will be praying for you, and your family.

Donna said...

Prayers for all of you going up. I'm thankful that you have had your grandparents this long and been able to enjoy them!
Blessings to you!

Jacinda said...

I am so sorry! Grandmothers are so special.

DJG said...

What rejoicing in heaven! And yet I know it hurts those left behind. You have my prayers.

Conway Life said...

prayers for your grandma. mine died last year and it's so hard to let them go but good to know they aren't suffering anymore.

R Debenport said...

Jenni,
I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I understand how bittersweet it is - my grandmother died in January at the age of 98. Even though I know she's at peace and whole and well again, we still miss her!
rebecca