Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Reverse Rainbow

This morning I had to set my alarm clock for about 4:15 am (aka 0-dark-thirty). As I left my house to head for the airport (about 5:35), it was still pitch dark. Living in the city, I hardly see even any stars. The lights from the building and those few on the tarmac were the only light to guide me to the plane.

It was full dark for the first 15 minutes or so of our flight. However, soon I began to see a streak of red along the eastern horizon. It is so completely clear this morning. The other times that I have made this trip, it has been at other times of the year, when the sun is already well over the horizon at 6:30 am – or it has been so cloudy, that I couldn’t see any of the sunrise until we were far above the clouds.

Today, as the sun began to make its appearance, the streak of red broadened into a reverse rainbow….red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and the dark, dark blue-black of the night sky. As I am writing this, it is about 7:20 am. From my vantage point, some thousands of feet in the sky, the rainbow is slowly expanding. The yellow streak is getting larger. I managed to take this photo through the window, but it really doesn’t do it justice. You’ll just have to use your imagination.



Soon, I imagine we’ll begin to see the sun peeking over the horizon. It really is amazing to see the sunrise from another vantage point!

------------------

After a long day driving all over northeastern Colorado, southwestern Nebraska, and northwestern Kansas, we ended up at our drilling rig out on a location. It was fascinating to watch the process as they set up the rig (aka “rig up”) and started drilling. I still have no idea what they were really doing – and have no desire to learn all the intricacies of that task – it is messy and hard. But it is definitely interesting.

As we were driving back to the office, we were able to see the sunset over the plains near Yuma, Colorado. What a great way to start and end the day -- watching the sun rise and set!

11 comments:

Karen said...

What a pretty picture! In a couple of weeks, we'll be watching the sunrise from a plane, as well. Em and I are taking an overnight flight from San Jose to Omaha, via Atlanta. We arrive in Atlanta a little after 6am (of course, our bodies will think it's only 3am!!)

Heather said...

Didn't know you were going to Colorado. Enjoy your time there!

Steve said...

Good blog. Flying early is an amazing experience. Just wanted you to know I am glad your folks remodeled instead of moved. It would not be the same without them.

Little Light said...

Looks and sounds beautiful!

Brett and Jenny Perkins said...

I can vouch for the beautiful sunrise on Tuesday. I can also vouch for the amazing sunset yesterday. It's been a long time since I have seen a clear, multi-colored sky like that.

Enjoy Colorado.

brett

DJG said...

Oh what a beautiful world...

I didn't know you were going either, doesn't anyone tell me anything anymore.!! (kidding)

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

(I would have to be thinking of the movie Armegeddon if I were on an oil rig. Did you see anybody who looked like Ben Affleck???)

SG said...

As I started reading your post I thought to myself, "Jeni didn't tell us she was going any where, did she?" Funny how we think we know what is going on woth people ewe have yet to meet! Have a wondeful trip!

jettybetty said...

I saw a similar sunrise the morning we left Nashville--they are truly *breath-taking*!!!
Then, you got to see the sunset, too!

Now you know about 99% more about rigs than I do!

Jenni said...

Nope, I really didn't even think to tell anyone. It is such a quick trip - up one day, back the next that it is pretty much a non-issue for me now. But, I must remember to tell my mother in the future - somehow she still manages to worry if she finds out after the fact! :-)

DJG - no Ben Affleck look-a-likes, but a couple of cute (young!) rig hands. And this rig is really tiny compared to the Armageddon type rig. We drill shallow gas wells and this rig can drill a well a day.

elizabeth said...

I love watching the sun come up! We used to travel a lot when I was a child and seeing the sun coming up reminds me of morning coffee at McDonalds and the three of us huddled in the back seat. Thanks for the memory!

AMankin said...

Sounds like a great day/trip!! I love seeing the sun rise/set from the sky--nothing else like it.