Thursday, October 13, 2005

Platelets

Donated platelets again today....that makes 12 donations this year. Gotta make 14 to get an invite to the Donor Appreciation Banquet (used to just be 12, but I guess they are trying to encourage more frequent donations!!).

Found out while I was there that the girl that has been running the donor center at Baylor has been granted a transfer and promotion to the new donor center at 635-Preston in North Dallas. So, now all the folks that were at Baylor when I started have all moved on/up to other centers across the metroplex. Which means that I'll have to break in some new phlebotomists! I might go visit Mia at her new place which does have slightly better/more flexible hours, but it isn't quite as convenient.

I'm off to Abilene for homecoming this weekend.....it's ACU's centennial this year, so there's lots of hoopla. Then I think I'll finally be at home for a few weekends in a row!

p.s. Elizabeth, my list is coming, I've just got to think of answers to all those questions!!

4 comments:

jettybetty said...

I am proud of you for donating platelets so often--I probably should get over my fear of needles.

Have a great time in Abilene!!!

Little Light said...

Have fun in Abilene. What's the process of donating platelets?

Jenni said...

LL -- to donate platelets, they stick a needle in both arms, the blood comes out one side, through a machine which spins the platelets out of the blood, then the rest of the blood components come back into the other arm.

Your platelet count and whether you are giving a single/double/triple unit, determines how long it takes. Usually, my appt is at 4:30 and I am done about 6:30 (on the machine for about 90-100 minutes).

At my donor center we watch movies while donating (or I'll bring TV shows from home that I've taped and catch up).

Did I answer all your questions?

Little Light said...

Yes, thanks. I wanted to know how much more complicated it is than donating blood.