Monday, August 22, 2005

Omelet in a Bag

Fun new recipe….

I got this recipe from my 93-year old granddaddy….thought at first that it was a joke, but it really works! Great for those camping trips or when you just really don’t want to do dishes!


Omelet in a Bag

Ingredients:
Quart freezer zipper bags     
Permanent markers
2 - 3 eggs per person     
Large pot of boiling water
Filling ingredients: ham, sausage, cheese, sauteed onion, green
pepper, salsa, salt & pepper, etc.

Directions:
Each person puts his/her name on a bag; breaks eggs into it and squishes the eggs to (scramble( then adds whatever filling ingredients he wants, gets all the air out of the bag, zips it and squishes some more to make sure it(s all mixed up.

Place bags in rolling, boiling water for 13 min. (4-6 in large pot).  After 13 min., dry off bag & open carefully to check & see if omelet is done enough.  (Put back in pot for 1-3 min. more if needed ( 3 egg omelet may take longer.)  Open bag & roll out omelet.  Serve immediately.

6 comments:

Bstermyster said...

that is very cool. Maybe I will get my hubby to do it.

K said...

That sounds like fun. I bet my boys would like it even when we are not camping!

Jenni said...

I'm definitely not a camper -- and can testify to the fun of doing it in your own kitchen!

jettybetty said...

That sounds great--you promise that bag doesn't melt???

JB

Jenni said...

Make sure you use a freezer bag - and no, it won't melt! My family experimented this past weekend and it really does work!!

Hoots Musings said...

I have a dear friend who cooked omelets this way a few weekends ago. She said they were excellent and fluffy and NO FAT!

Yummy!