Friday, June 24, 2005

Amsterdam....continued

So, after sleeping very well last night, I get out and about an explored Amsterdam a bit today. It has been unseasonably warm here the past several days - with the high predicted at 80 degrees F today - but right now it is actually 90! This country, like many other European countries, just doesn't have the prevalence of air conditioning that we have in the states. So, it is quite miserable when it gets hot.

I decided that today was going to be the shopping day, and tomorrow (when it is supposed to rain), I'll do the museums and perhaps a canal boat tour.

First, I spent a while exploring the Galleria d'Arte Rinascimento - a store full of Delftware. I had seen it last night when I went over to the Anne Frank House, but it was closed.

I found the Nine Little Streets - an area over in the Jordaan district (near my hotel) where there are supposed to be loads of little shops. There truly were, but it was more antique type shopping than what I was really looking for.

I looked next for Rose's Cantina - a supposedly good Mexican food restaurant. I was really curious to see if they did it justice! Alas, it was closed for renovations. So, no luck there.

Then I found the Bloemenmarkt (Flower Market) along the Singel canal -- where there are rows of floating flower shops. I bought a few tulip bulbs to bring home. Mostly just really enjoyed looking at the flowers and people watching.

Finally, found Kwekkeboom, a little bakery/pastry/ice cream shop. Had an ice cream cone for a treat.....yum!

Now, I'm just resting a bit (and cooling off!) before I head out again for the evening.

(4:30 pm Amsterdam time)

No comments: