Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Mexican Food and Adopted Family

Over the past several months, I've started a new Tuesday night routine. I eat dinner with my good friend Martha, and often her daughters Jennifer and Jill. Martha is a second mom to me.

Several years ago, her husband Cullen was diagnosed with cancer and shortly thereafter she was diagnosed with breast cancer. My good friend Kelly and I took them dinner. But rather than just drop off the food, we ate dinner with them. It was the beginning of a wonderful friendship.

It has been almost 2 years since Cullen lost his battle with cancer. Between that first dinner at their house and the time that Cullen died, I developed a great relationship with Martha. When I say she is a second mom to me, she really, really is. She's my local mom and a great friend.

So, Tuesdays now have a sacred calendar item: Mexican food for dinner with Martha. We've varied locations (most recently we've enjoyed Casita Dominguez) and more often that not (at least recently), her daughters join us. It has been so great to get to know them better, too. It's kinda nice to have big sisters.

Martha, I love you. I cherish our friendship and value your place in my life and my heart. Thanks so much for being another mother to me!

2 comments:

Maggie Ann said...

Just stopped by, what a very special friendship indeed !!

jettybetty said...

What a wonderful "tradition"! I am going to guess that it is just as meaningful to Martha as it is to you!! JB