Friday, April 29, 2005

Digital Camera Dilemma

Ok, I'm about ready to jump off the cliff of digital camera ownership. But, I can't decide which one I want! Ideally, it will be a compact camera, with lots of megapixels, and lots of zoom. My parents have an Olympus C-765 UZ - it's a great camera - 4 megapixel, 10x optical zoom, small size.

But, they've had it for over a year -- so, is there something new and better on the market? I've been searching high and low. Scouring the internet for information. Asking everyone I know (at least that I know has some real knowledge about digital cameras).

One of my co-workers is a photography fanatic. Each Monday morning he sends out several new photos that he took over the weekend. Get him started and Marty will talk your ear off about digital cameras! Got some input from him. Filed a lot of it away as interesting, but not useful for me, because he is more of a professional than I am. Granted I took a photography class in high school and another one when I spent a month in Switzerland for summer school in college. But I don't really remember all the rules - aperture, shutter speed, etc.

So, I think I've narrowed it down. Either the
Olympus C-765 UZ just like Mom & Daddy. Or the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 - 5 megapixel, 12x optical zoom, slightly larger camera. Is there anyone out there who has knowledge or opinions and wants to share??

My goal is to get it bought in the next week or so to be able to test it out and play with it over my many upcoming trips, weddings, etc so that I am really comfortable by the time the real reason for the purchase comes along: my trip to the Netherlands in mid-June!

4 comments:

SG said...

We are in the market also. A photographer friend told me that the Canon Powershot AZ10 is the most complete featured digital camera for someone like me. It is the camers his wife uses. I haven't looked much myself. My parents have a Kodak easy share that is really easy to use.

Chad said...

Hi Jenni - just saw your comment on my blog, so I thought I'd say hello. Say hi to my grandparents (Toni & Stanley Scott) for me! :-)

DJG said...

I had an older Olympus that had 2.5 mp and a 10x optical zoom that I loved. When we stepped up my sweet over-zealous husband got me a Sony 8mp with a 7X optical zoom. But is has great optics and does take wonderful pics....but... it is HUGE! Go for the maximum # of MP with the highest optical zoom you can find. I would probably want to go higher than 5 mp if available.

Love to shop for new gadgets, enjoy!

jettybetty said...

I have no idea what kind mine is (aggie-ed makes all those decisions for me) but I LOVE it!! The one I am now using is my second one. I totally wore the first one out. My camera is definitely my fav toy! Hope you love yours too! It will be great for your trip! JB